What is Balloon Sinuplasty?
Balloon Sinuplasty is an alternative to major surgery, utilizing a small pliable balloon catheter placed inside the sinus cavities to widen the obstructed sinus passages in order to allow mucus to flow more freely.
Who can benefit from Balloon Sinuplasty?
Balloon Sinuplasty is a minimally invasive surgery for those experiencing regularly occurring acute sinus infections or chronic sinus infections (12 weeks or longer), with minimal to no relief from antibiotics. This is typically used when there’s an extensive history of sinus issues throughout a person's lifetime.
How long does it take to recover from Balloon Sinuplasty?
Typical recovery time may differ slightly with each patient, but the average recovery time is 48 hours.
What is a Mini CT Scanner?
A Mini CT Scanner is a device used by doctors to examine the inner workings of the sinus cavities, using computed tomography technology. This device allows for a high-resolution view of the inside of the sinuses. Drs. Marlowe and Marrs provide this equipment on site at their practice, allowing for a quicker diagnosis and treatment.
What types of shotless allergy treatments are available?
There are many options for non-injection treatment of sinus issues including:
- Homeopathic remedies - Methods you can create in your home
- Allergy tablets - Minimize allergy symptoms, can cause drowsiness
- Eye drops - Relieve irritated eyes due to allergies, doesn't cause drowsiness
- Antihistamines - Block histamines that trigger allergies
- Anti-inflammatory nasal spray- Spray directly into the nose, doesn't cause drowsiness
- Nasal decongestant - Drains blocked mucus that can lead to an ideal environment for bacteria growth
What are some home remedies for allergies?
Home remedies are usually recommended before medication is prescribed. Some of the most common home remedies for allergies include:
- Saline nasal rinses- Such as Neti-pots to flush out any allergens or mucus
- Steam inhalations - Breathing in steam can soothe and open nasal cavities
- Nutritional supplements - Added vitamins to boost your immune system
- Avoiding allergens - Steer clear of places where there are known irritants
- Immunotherapy- Gradually expose yourself to the allergens in higher and higher amounts to allow your body to adjust
Additional solutions to sinus and/or allergy issues
- Immunotherapy injections/allergy shots - An injection with tiny traces of the allergen to allow your body to adjust at its own pace
- Antibiotics - There are many options for antibiotics and these medications are typically prescribed after other measures have failed
- Sinus/steroid shot - Usually contains antihistamine and one of several different kinds of steroids to help the body fight off the allergic reactions