Those in the early onset of hearing loss may begin experiencing a persistent ringing sound in their ears. This symptom is referred to as tinnitus and its onset is more common than you might think. Statistically, roughly 26 million Americans have experienced tinnitus at some point in their lives. Some cases are so severe that the persistent noise interferes with a person’s daily activities. People with severe cases may not only find it difficult to hear but may also have trouble sleeping and find it hard to pay attention to daily tasks. If you think you may be experiencing tinnitus, getting in touch with Drs. Marlowe & Marrs can provide you with the attention and medical care you deserve.
What Causes Tinnitus?
In addition to hearing loss, tinnitus may also be caused by frequent exposure to loud noise and certain medications. There are reportedly over 200 different medicines on the market today that list tinnitus as a possible side effect. Additionally, tinnitus may be a result of certain health issues such as allergies, tumors, and heart disease. Finding an experienced ENT is essential to properly diagnosing the problem and treating it effectively. At Marlowe & Marrs, we have been providing quality ENT health care services to the people of Sarasota, Florida for over 20 years. Our dedicated staff is here to assist and guide you to a better state of health.
Adult ENT Services for Tinnitus
If you think you may be suffering from tinnitus, we’re here to provide you with the quality ENT services that you deserve. When you visit our Sarasota hearing center, we will work hard to determine what is causing your tinnitus and check to see if your condition is related to blood pressure, kidney function, diet, or allergies. Additionally, we can work to determine whether your condition is related to any medicine you are taking. Here at Marlowe & Marrs, our board-certified otolaryngologists don’t cut corners. We offer comprehensive consultations and tests to all of our patients to ensure they receive fast and effective treatment.
Treatment Options Include
While there is no cure for tinnitus, there are many options available to help you manage the ringing in your ears. Not every treatment works for everyone, so there may be some trial and error to find the one that is most effective.
- Hearing Aids – Many people with tinnitus also experience hearing loss. Improving your ability to hear others can make your condition less noticeable.
- Maskers – Maskers are small electronic devices that use sound to make tinnitus less noticeable. Maskers do not make the ringing go away completely, but they make the ringing or roaring sound much softer.
- Medicine or drug therapy – Some medicines may ease tinnitus. However, it is important to discuss possible side effects before undergoing drug therapy or trying prescription medication.
- Tinnitus retraining therapy – This treatment uses a combination of counseling and maskers. Otolaryngologists, such as Drs. Marlowe & Marrs, can help you learn how to better deal with your condition.
- Counseling – People with tinnitus may experience depression. In this case, talking to a counselor or joining a support group may be helpful.
- Relaxing – Learning how to relax is very helpful if the noise in your ears frustrates you. Stress makes the ringing seem worse. By relaxing, you have a chance to rest and better deal with the sound.
Managing Tinnitus In Sarasota, Florida
Drs. Marlowe & Marrs have been providing ENT services to the Sarasota community for over 20 years. If you have been noticing a ringing in your ears, we encourage you to pay us a visit. To discuss your tinnitus symptoms and learn more about how we can help, please request an appointment by calling (941) 303-8590 or selecting and filling out the appropriate form below.